The Maintenance & Operations Levy...
• Replaces the current levy, which will expire at the end of 2014
• Authorizes collection for four years of an annual levy for general operations each year
• Expires at the end of 2018
• Provides 20% (including levy equalization) of the funding for the general operations of the district, or more than 1/5
Purpose of an Educational Programs & Operations Levy
Local levies for general operating funds serve to supplement state and federal funding for public schools. These levies were intended to provide for extras beyond basic education and have become a significant funding source for most districts, including Colville.
What does the M&O levy pay for?
This money fills the gap between state basic education funding and the current educational program. The items it helps pay for include the following:
• Additional staff beyond those funded by the state
• Teacher planning and preparation time
• Instructional materials and textbooks
• Technology hardware and software items, such as replacing outdated desktop and laptop computers
• Transportation costs not funded by the state
• Safety and security, transportation, facility maintenance
• Music programs
• Extracurricular activities and athletics
The district is limited by the state to ask for a total amount that is no more than 28 percent of BEA funding. This levy asks for half of that amount. Although the district can ask the voters for 28 percent, we are asking the community to support a $2,690,000 levy, which is only 14.1 percent of what we are allowed to ask. With passing this levy we would also qualify for levy equalization moneys in the amount of approximately $1,100,000.
How much the M&O Levy costs
Replacement of Maintenance & Operations Levy, authorizes a four-year levy in the amount of $2,690,000. This levy would pay part of the general fund expenses for educational programs and operations. The estimated tax rates per $1,000 of assessed valuation for 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 are $2.77, $2.73, $2.70 and $2.67 respectively.
|*Estimated M & 0 Levy Rate/$1,000||$2.77||$2.73||$2.70||2.67|
Printable Fact Sheet: Updated fact sheet Jan 7